Sixty-eight percent of U.S. households, about 85 million families, own a pet. Whether it’s a big dog, a small one, a cat or a horse, it’s always pleasant to pet them. Sometimes it happens that allergic symptoms appear after these affections. Using Hepa filter vacuum cleaners in the daily cleaning could help reduce these symptoms.
What to do when allergies emerge?
Unfortunately, there aren’t “hypoallergenic” pets: you need to identify the problem as soon as possible and take all practicable measures to go on living with your furry friends. Allergens are harmless substances to most people, but they cause excessive reaction by the immune system in allergy sufferers. Contrary to popular belief, the main source of allergens is not the animal fur, but it is the proteins that are in saliva and in dead skin cells; these are collected by fur, with other allergens such as pollen and mites. The transfer of allergens to the air happens not only by brushing or cuddling pets, but also by cleaning with traditional methods or using a vacuum cleaner without a suitable filtration system: the particles can remain in the air for months.
Generally, allergy symptoms appear during the animal contact, or right after and go on for some time because the allergens remain in the air, on the furniture or on clothing. If you experience rhinitis, nasal congestion, itching or watery eyes when there is a pet, you are probably allergic; in the most serious cases, skin reactions, difficult breathing or asthma may also occur.
Your doctor will prescribe an allergy test and an immunological examination for a more accurate diagnosis that will lead to the correct treatment to make you feel better. In addition, the best way to avoid allergic reactions is to limit contact with allergic particles present in the air.
Here are some precautions:
- Keep animals out of the bedroom and away from sofa and armchairs
- Remove carpets and rugs that can trap allergens
- Ask a non-allergic people to regularly brush pets at least once a week, outside the home
- Often replace bed laundry and use hypoallergenic mattresses and pillows
- Don’t hug or kiss pet to avoid direct contact with eyes and respiratory tract
- Use only Hepa filter vacuum cleaners. Vacuum cleaners with Hepa filter allow to retain even the smallest impurities, including pollen and mites. The outlet air is not only cleaner because it’s dust-free, but also healthier and purified.
- Change clothes after prolonged contact with pets
- Using a Hepa filter air purifier at least 4 hours a day can help remove allergens from the air, but it will have no effect on those that are deposited on the surfaces.
- Clean all washable surfaces of the house with steam to kill all allergens before vacuuming.
Water vacuum cleaners with Hepa filter are the best choice for allergy sufferers: they prevent allergens re-entering the air during cleaning operations and during bucket emptying because impurities slip away with water.
The “British Allergy Foundation” recognized to Polti Vaporetto EcoSteamVac its own “Seal of Approval” because it is an effective product in eliminating allergens.